It’s Friday and that means my friend Shawn Snyder, from The Odd Couple Blog, and I are teaming up on our weekly marriage blog. Shawn will share her thoughts (in green) on the topic through the eyes of a woman/wife, and I’ll share mine (in blue) through the eyes of a man/husband. This week’s topic is Favorite Activities To Do With Your Spouse. Enjoy!
The 2012 Summer Olympics are in full swing. We have enjoyed them and look forward doing some fun Olympic-themed family activities over the remaining days. This is a perfect time to share some of my favorite activities with my spouse.
Spending time is one way to build a healthy marriage, and can help you get to really know your spouse. Last week we talked about how to handle having separate hobbies, which can work and may be necessary. However, I truly enjoy doing things with my wife. I actually had a difficult time narrowing my list down, but I was able to come up with 5 of My Favorite Activities with my Spouse:
- Morning jogs. We recently started this, and I probably enjoy it a little more than my wife. However, we have both enjoyed the quiet and still of the morning, as well as the physical and mental benefits we get.
- Bike riding. This is probably my wife’s #1 favorite activity. We do it with our kids as well, but we both really enjoy this time and we get the benefits of exercise as well.
- Sunday afternoon naps. There is nothing like a Sunday afternoon nap! After a long week, and a great Sunday morning worship service at church, it is wonderful to have (sometimes force) the kids to take a nap so we are able to so as well.
- Watching our kids sports. I can tell already that I am going to reach some of my highest “highs” and my lowest “lows” with this. Watching my kids is more difficult than actually playing, but to cheer them on while they are competing and giving their best, is awesome!
- Prayer. By no means are we as consistent as we want to be, but the time we do spend in prayer together are some of our best and most intimate times. Something happens when you bring the presence of God in your marriage. I pray we do it much more consistently.
Spending time with your spouse has great benefits. It adds to the experience when you are doing a fun and/or rewarding activity. If you don’t have a few things that you like to do with your spouse, begin to find some today! You will be glad you did.
Question: What are some of your favorite activities with your spouse? Please share in the comment section below.
This week my hubby and I have really enjoyed watching the Olympics. We both love the swimming and watching Michael Phelps win his 19th medal making him the most decorated Olympian ever! Also the gymnastics are awesome the muscle and control these kids have speaks to the work they do in their sport. So, it’s funny that our topic this week is about the favorite activities that we do with our spouses. Last week we talked about enjoying time away from our spouse doing separate hobbies, so this week we will bring it back home and talk about what we enjoy doing with our partners.
Early to Rise Early to Bed
Ron and I don’t have a lot of time together during the week. Ron is out of the house early in the morning and usually doesn’t get home until later in the evening. So our week-ends are the times that we have to really enjoy each other and activities together. Neither of us are into the serious workout type of routines that sports offers.
However, we live on a large 3/4 of an acre yard and with all the kids gone the yard upkeep has fallen on us. We don’t mind since it leads into our other hobbies such as gardening and the hubby always has a garden tractor to tinker with or some yard or garden tool to keep sharp.
Those types of days always leads to planning a cookout and calling the family to see who is free to come over and eat and hang out with us for the afternoon. Sometimes we lay back listen to the birds and close our eyes and take a nap for a couple of hours.
Content with the Details
It doesn’t take much money or a specific location to be able to enjoy the time and activity with you spouse. Let me know what your favorite activity is with your spouse.