Love can make you do things you never thought you would do. It can drive you to accomplish things you never thought possible. It can also convince you to do some really dumb stuff. Some say, “Love makes the world go round.”
Nike has created a fun video showing what one particular couple would do for love. Since it is Nike, it involves physical activity. It is funny, but shows a huge difference in someone who appears to get active on a regular basis, and someone who does not. Which group do you fit in?
The health and fitness numbers don’t lie
- Only one in three children are physically active every day
- Less than 5% of adults participate in 30 minutes of physical activity each day
- More than 80% of adults do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities
- More than 80% of adolescents do not do enough aerobic physical activity to meet the guidelines for youth
- Children now spend more than seven and a half hours a day in front of a screen
- By 2030, half of all adults (115 million adults) in the United States will be obese
- Over 78 million U.S. adults and about 12.5 million (16.9%) children and adolescents are obese
- Obesity-related medical conditions account for 16 to 18 percent of our total healthcare costs
- The annual cost of being overweight is $524 for women and $432 for men; annual costs for being obese are even higher: $4,879 for women and $2,646 for men
- Those who are obese have medical costs that are $1,429 more than those of normal weight on average (roughly 42% higher)
National Fitness Month
The month of May is National Physical Fitness and Sport Month (National Fitness Month for short). Last May I ran a fitness challenge on my blog, called the GET Active 30 Day Challenge. Participants of the challenge were asked to complete at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day for the month of May.
Are you up for a fitness challenge?
As May is approaching I’m considering running the challenge again. I’m about 80/20 right now. I want to make sure it is something valuable to you, my readers. I know physical fitness is valuable to everyone. However, you come to my blog to read a certain kind of content. If this type of content is not providing that value, then it is not something I want on my blog.
If the GET Active 30-day Challenge is offered this year, would you like to join us. If so, which format would you prefer?
- Individual – you complete a daily challenge of 30 minutes of physical activity
- Relationship/Partner – you complete the daily challenge with your spouse, significant other, or just a workout buddy
- Family – you complete the daily challenge with your family, kids and all.
Please share your preference in the comment section below.