I’ve been blogging for almost three years. I didn’t know exactly what was going to be the result, but I can say I’m pleased with my experience so far. And very excited about what is to come.
My family has been a big part of my blogging. First, they make up most of my subject matter. My wife will occasionally edit some of my posts (when she doesn’t you can see the difference!). And of course, they pose for tons of pictures. 🙂
Our new “family blog”
Well now, we are starting a family blog. Well, sort of. I’ll still be blogging here as I normally do about leading and loving your family. In addition, my wife started blogging at the beginning of the year. And the most recent addition to the Bledsoe Family Blog is our daughter. Her blog is actually part of her homeschooling education requirements.
Although neither one of them are very active, I’m excited about it! One of the my biggest goals and dreams is to have a family business. This isn’t a family business, yet, but a family blog, or family of blogs, can suffice until the family business completely develops.
Social media, blogging, or both?
Depending upon the ages of your children, you may have a family of social media users. One way to ease into that, to better control what is on the web related to your family, or add to your social media experience can be to create a family blog which you can work on together.
Maybe not a family of blogs like we have, but one blog that you can use to share content with family and friends, or share it with the entire world (wide web).
I believe there are benefits in doing this. Below are 5 ways your family can benefit from a family blog.
- Learning and growing together. If you aren’t a techy, already a blogger, or a writer then blogging may be new ground for you. But what better way to explore new ground than with your family? There are several aspects to blogging. Individual family members may like or be more suited than the others.
- A place to record and share significant events. I really wish I would have embraced journaling or scrap booking early on in our marriage. There are so many moments we’ve missed. Today, a lot of them are being captured on social media, but those can be fragmented or spread across several channels. A family blog can give you one central location to capture your family story and share your family story if you desire.
- A cool conversation topic at the next family reunion or gathering. Wouldn’t it be cool if your family was the “one with the blog.” If this is your thing, you could be the hot topic at the family reunion. Don’t be surprised if this leads you to be nominated to create a page or website for your family reunion. This could be fun, and could possibly lead to an entire extended family blog or family of blogs.
- It can lead to other opportunities. My blog has opened the door to a ton of opportunities. One of which is a web show my wife and I will be starting soon. It has created a “side income” that is now a full-time income. It has created opportunities for our kids in the form of semi-internships and other opportunities. And I believe it has only scratched the surface. If you approach blogging with an open mind the sky is the limit to what it can do for your family.
- Blogging is fun! Blogging about my family and taking pictures of my family is just fun to me. Even if I didn’t share it with you all, it’d still be fun just reflecting and creating things with my family at the center. It can be just as fun for you!
Do you have a family blog, or family of blogs? If you do, please share it below.